Scholarship Information, Guidelines, and Dates
The Choptank Electric Trust Scholarship
This $2,000 scholarship is awarded by the Choptank Electric Trust to nine worthy college and/or technical trade students every spring. We highly encourage anyone interested in attending a lineman's college to also apply. The 2024 application deadline is March 15. Click the sections below to learn more and apply.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a graduating high school or home-schooled senior, graduating junior, or first semester graduating senior.
- Parent or legal guardian cosigning must be a current Choptank Electric Cooperative member or employee.
- Enter a post-high school educational institution as a freshman in the fall of the year.
Recipients are chosen based on a competitive screening process and are selected based on:
- Financial need
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular and community activities
- Reference letters are required. Letters may be from school administrators, teachers, civic leaders, clergy or neighbors. Please limit to three references. Letters may not be submitted from relatives.
- Personal essay
The required essay should be limited to two typed, double-spaced pages on the following topic: "Why I have chosen to continue my education or select a technical/trade school and how this scholarship will assist me."
Please provide a cover page with your name, address and home telephone. Do not place your name on any other page of the essay.
Application deadline is March 15, 2024.
All sections of the Trust Scholarship Form, required documents, and the essay as outlined in the "Write an Essay" section must be sent by the deadline. Please note that the guidance counselor form must be completed by your guidance counselor or another appropriate school official.
All documents (including the essay) must be mailed as a single package.
Submit the completed application, along with official sealed transcript of grades and essay, to:
Choptank Electric Trust Scholarship
Attn: Marilyn Cook
P.O. Box 426
Denton MD 21629
Any incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be eligible for consideration.
For additional information and the application, please call Marilyn Cook, 410-479-8660.
Choptank Electric Luck of the Draw Scholarship
Choptank Electric Cooperative will present ten $1,000 educational scholarships at the close of our Annual Meeting held every spring. The 2024 Annual Meeting will be held on April 27 at The Fountains Wedding & Conference Center in Salisbury, MD. Eligible students will need to complete the Luck Of The Draw Scholarship form and submit by April 18, 2024 to apply. Please refer to the Qualifications and Application sections below.
To be eligible for these scholarships, the following provisions will govern the acceptance of applicants from Choptank Electric Cooperative members:
The applicant must be enrolled OR planning to enroll at an accredited two or four-year college, university, or a technical school in the fall of the same year the scholarship is awarded.
The applicant must be a dependent or legal ward of an active Choptank Electric member.
The applicant must register to attend the Annual Meeting and be present for the drawing at the end of the Annual Meeting.
Winners of prior years’ scholarship are not eligible to participate.
Employees and dependents of Choptank Electric who are members, and the Board of Directors and their dependents are not eligible to participate.
- We recommend Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete or print the form.
- To be eligible for this scholarship, the application must be filled out completely and submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to submit is Thursday, April 18, 2024, at 4:30 p.m. Completed applications can also be dropped off at either of our offices in Denton or Salisbury.
***A confirmation email will be sent when we have received the application.***
Providing scholarships for post-secondary education to deserving but financially challenged students from our member electric cooperative territories.
This $1,000 scholarship is awarded by the Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives’ (VMDAEC) Education Scholarship Foundation Board to students every May. A combination of weighted criteria is used in the selection process: 40% financial need; 40% academic achievement; and 20% personal statement. Funds can be applied towards tuition, student fees, room and board, or textbooks. More details are listed here.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a high school or home school senior graduating in the spring of the current calendar year.
- Be entering his or her first semester at a college or technical/trade school in the fall of the current calendar year.
- Have parents or guardians are consumer-members of Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Location of service is the primary residence
- The scholarship must be used towards tuition, student fees, room and board, or textbooks.
Recipients are selected based on:
- Financial need at 40%
- Academic achievement at 40%
- Personal statement at 20%
For applicant questions, please direct inquiries to email@example.com.