Scholarship Information, Guidelines, and Dates
This $2,000 scholarship is awarded by the Choptank Electric Trust to nine worthy college students every May.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a high school or home school, senior
- Be a member or employee of Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Enter a post-high school educational institution as a freshman in the fall of the year
Recipients are chosen based on a competitive screening process and are selected based on:
- Financial need
- Academic achievement
- Extracurricular and community activities
- Reference letters are required. Letters may be from school administrators, teachers, civic leaders, clergy or neighbors. Please limit to three references. Letters may not be submitted from relatives.
- Personal essay
The scholarship funds are sent directly to the educational institution the student will attend.
The required essay should be limited to two typed, double-spaced pages on the following topic: "Why I have chosen to continue my education and how this scholarship will assist me."
Please provide a cover page with your name, address and home telephone. Do not place your name on any other page of the essay.
All sections of the Trust Scholarship Form, required documents, and the essay as outlined in the "Write an Essay" section must be sent by the deadline. Please note that the guidance counselor form must be completed by your guidance counselor or another appropriate school official.
**All documents (including the essay) must be mailed as a single package.
Submit this form along with your official sealed transcript of grades and essay by the deadline to:
Choptank Electric Trust Scholarship
Attn: Beverley Ireland
P.O. Box 426
Denton MD 21629
Please note: Incomplete or late applications will not be considered.
Any incomplete applications will not be considered. You will receive confirmation that your application has been received. Applications postmarked after the deadline will not be eligible for consideration.
For additional information and the application, please call Beverley Ireland, 1.877.892.0001, ext. 8660.
Thank you for your participation this year. Please standby for 2021 instructions.
Choptank Electric will present ten $1,000 educational scholarships at the close of its 2021 Annual Meeting.
To be eligible for these scholarships, the following provisions will govern the acceptance of applicants from Choptank Electric Cooperative members:
The applicant must be a graduating high school senior OR a co-op member.
The student must be enrolled OR planning to enroll at an accredited two or four-year college, university, or a technical school for the fall 2021 term.
If a student is applying, the student must be a dependent or legal ward of an active Choptank Electric member.
Winners of prior years’ scholarship are not eligible to participate.
Employees and dependents of Choptank Electric who are members, and the Board of Directors and their dependents are not eligible to participate.
Eligible students will need to complete the Luck Of The Draw Scholarship form available here or below.
* Use Adobe Acrobat Reader to complete or print the form.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the application must be filled out completely and submitted to Communications. You may also drop off your form at either of our offices in Denton or Salisbury.
***A confirmation email will be sent when we have received the application AND a phone call will be made to confirm your application has been processed.***
This $1,000 scholarship is awarded by the Virginia, Maryland & Delaware Association of Electric Cooperatives’ (VMDAEC) Education Scholarship Foundation Board to students every May.
To qualify for this scholarship, you must:
- Be a high school or home school senior graduating in the Spring of 2021
- Be entering his or her first semester at a college or technical/trade school in the fall of 2021
- Have parents or guardians are consumer-members of Choptank Electric Cooperative
- Location of service is the primary residence
- The scholarship must be used towards tuition, student fees, room and board, or textbooks.
Recipients are selected based on:
- Financial need at 40%
- Academic achievement at 40%
- Personal statement at 20%
Thank you for participating. Preference will be given to applicants who indicate a planned career as a line worker.